Hey world,
It’s amazing how much you learn about the kids
after just a few days. Here I am on day 4 and already feel like we have been
together for weeks.
Day 1 was just like all opening days with people
stressed and there was a lot of running trying to make sure everything was
perfect for the kids arrival. So while people who haven’t done this before
start to worry – not all of them but there is still a lot - and those who have
been through it get ready for another summer with the kids, the countdown gets
closer to zero when the gates open and its go time.
First to come through the gates are all those
being brought to camp via car. All the counsellors gather in the visitor car
park clapping, cheering and, for some, running up and down with their arms in
the air seemingly losing their minds – but all in good fun of course. The idea
is to make the kids feel excited to be here rather than terrified about leaving
mum and dad. In reality I think its more a way for us to get any nervous energy
we have out and let it sink in that the first day of the next 7 weeks is
finally here. Not long after the cars, the buses start. That’s when it goes
from a few kids at a time to an onslaught as we unload 2 buses full of kids.
This lasts for a few hours and as the afternoon goes on we meet the kids that
will be with us this summer.
Im really happy with my bunk. I have two
co-counsellors that are great and 7 kids that listen to me and even do what I
ask them to which is always a big bonus!!
This has easily been the best start to a summer
for me when it comes to weather. A lot of sun and a warm lake results in happy
kids at the waterfront! I did 6 or 7 deep water tests with the kids on the
first day of activities and I have probably done a few more since then to push
me into double figures. The legend of the septapus has once again been passed
on to the kids and while most of them seem to not believe it – don’t know why –
I have had some keeping an eye out cause they don’t want to be snuck up on.
Overall its safe to say so far so good.
___________
Its now day 6 and sadly the good weather didn’t
last with the last couple being incredibly cold! My first night of being a head
OD it was freezing!! Certainly didn’t enjoy that staying up till far too late
in weather that was far too cold. in true me style it would appear that I just
cant manage to stop injuring myself. Nothing serious which is something new!
But the list so far is an eye infection (kind of), which they think was caused
by an allergic reaction, shin splint in the left leg – which is not fun at all!
– and throw in a splinter or two and its certainly been a painful start. To
those who actually read these things, don’t go over-reacting like last year and
thinking im losing limbs or anything like that cause im okay, just sore.
So after a day or 2 of all that going on im
slowly… very slowly… getting back to being in one piece. there has been a few
people getting colds lately – including one of my co-counsellors – which is
never good but hey its camp, this many people in one place things are never
going to be 100% healthy and the nurses would be very bored if they were.
So really the kids have been here less than a
week and it already feels like they have been here for months with everything
that has gone on. Just like last year, and just like the year before that. Its
good that that’s what happens though. After feeling like I never left the
second I got back, I don’t see why I should feel like ive only been here for 6
days without any drama after ive actually only been here for 6 days. What would
that fun be in that?
Take care all
No comments:
Post a Comment