Monday, 12 November 2012

so long, farewell


Hey world,

It is amazing how fast time can fly by at this place. Even with everything that has happened while being here it only seems like yesterday that I actually arrived on via a bus with a flat tyre. There has been three big days since our olympics ended that all signify the end of summer 2012.

The first was campers day out. This is when lake camp – the 10 and 11 year olds – go out to six flags. It’s a day that can either be realy good or a nightmare. All depends on if the kids decide to be good or bad. For me it was a great day. Groups combined and the result was 11 kids with 3 counsellors.

I went for back to back years doing water park and games/arcade after the success of last year and I have to say it was a smart move when it was humid and hot all day. Managed to keep the kids busy in the arcade for about 2 or 3 hours which was a big win since they loved it and walked away with an array of basketballs and little stuffed toys.

The waterpark itself wasn’t as busy as last year so we went on some of the bigger rides this time around. It was amazing! There were moments when I thought I might actually fall out of the inflatables we use to go down the bigger slides but thankfully there was no moment where I came flying out the end and a tube came after me.

The end of the day was funny. Some of the kids who challenge me to horse during the year on the basketball court got me to shoot for them. 3 shots, make one and you get a giant stuffed toy or basketball. A few other kids also decided to let me play for them and I came away with 6 stuffed toys and 1 basketball. Successful!

The second day is more of a night as its banquet. The one night at came where all the ladies are in dresses and all the guys are looking like less of a slob than usual. I could lie and say we all look our finest but lets face it we are guys and don’t put that much effort in at the best of times, its just jeans and a shirt. However I was very proud of myself when it came to banquet! I bought a shirt before coming to camp that didn’t actually fit me with the intent of wearing it to banquet… happy to say that when the night came it fit nicely.
After the meal its a game of get a picture with everyone while you have the chance followed by presentation of jackets to those who have been here for 5 or 10 years. The finale of the night is a slide show of the summer followed by a lucas speech. The slide show was again fantastic to see even though we had to go and carry another TV to get it working since the tv was being a bitch.

The third one is also a night since its wish night. this is the night where emotions are high and you don’t quite know which campers and staff will manage to get through the night without crying since it’s the final goodbye and the last real opportunity we get to spend time with our kids. I had one kid from a different bunk sitting on me, and two from my bunk either side though out the night. the one sitting on me was crying uncontrollably for much of the night as soon as it sunk in that this was it and we had to leave. At some stage I think everyone who lived in my bunk shed a tear or two maybe more… and yes I mean everybody…

The world of camp is over. Now I have CFC coming up, followed by travelling. I don’t really know how much ill write from here onwards but if I think anything is note worthy ill be sure to write it out. Its difficult to think that its all coming to an end for 2012… I don’t really know what im looking forward to the most with everything that is left! Regardless im sure its going to be a kick ass time

Take care all

No comments:

Post a Comment