Saturday, 26 May 2012

big wheels keep on turning


Hey world,

After what could only be described as a perfect start to my travels, things kind of came back down to earth, or more specifically the bus did. We were an hour away from Lee, Massachusetts – which for those who don’t know, its the place camp picks us up from – when the bus got a flat. The bus driver being the nice man he is pulled into a McDonalds instead of just stoping on the side of the road so we were able to get off the bus and I was able to email camp and tell them why I wasn’t there and please don’t forget about me! We were told to expect a 30-45 minute delay since they had both called for a replacement bus and also for someone to fix the currently disabled bus. The waiting time ended up being an hour and 15mins, and naturally both of our rescue options arrived at the same time.

So it was a complete transfer over to the new bus, since it was the faster option, and then we were told we’d be taking a different route to save a little bit of time. By the end of the whole experience we ended up getting into Lee an hour behind schedule. The return to camp this year had a very simular feeling as last year only perhaps a little stronger. Once arriving it really does feel like I never left and it’s just like returning home – sorry mum but it is my second home given I spend a good chunk of the year here. No matter how elaborate of descriptive I get I doubt I could ever put it into words so I wont try but it’s a nice feeling given im on the other side of the world.

We really do have an army of people this year for the opening of precamp. I think the number I heard was 32 people. Which when I arrived last year, which was last week of precamp and not the beginning, I think we had only just got to 40 people after they started with less than 10. So in theory things should go smoother. Thankfully so far everyone seems very happy to do the long seemingly endless and sometimes boring jobs. Anyone who has ever had to rake a forest to remove the leaves would understand that its not the most exciting job, even though I find it very therapeutic. The new people seem to see it as pointless job, just like anyone else doing it for the first time, but after seeing the difference it makes I like to think they are on board. The advantage of having people here that are so keen to get the work done is that we are getting things done fast, which given my love for efficiency is fantastic since ive been running some of the crews. Its not all smooth sailing though. Due to it being my third summer here I was told id be running a truck crew where I would be driving the ute. Now that doesn’t sound hard but when the wheel is on the other side and I have to stay on the right of the roads its not exactly a walk in the park. Oh and just to add to my fears. After only just starting the session steam started coming of the front. I later found out this was caused by the fan deciding not to work causing it to overheat. Amazingly I was still allowed to drive the next day but this time it went off without an issue. By the end of the day it was very hot so still something that should be looked into but at least we got the work done

The weather has been a bit up and down but overall it has been decent with only short bursts of rain while we are working and most of it coming when we aren’t out so that doesn’t really matter. It certainly has been better than my 15hrs in new york when it just rained all the time. Hopefully things go well for the rest of precamp and by the time its all coming to an end we are well ahead of schedule and not pressed for time and stressed.

Camp already is going to be very different this year… now its just a waiting game to see just how much and where

Take care all

No comments:

Post a Comment