Friday, 14 October 2011

its the end of the world as we know it, and i feel fine


Hey world,

I had decided not to write about chinese family camp but given im currently waiting for a hurricane to hit new york I figured it would be a good way to fill in some time.

CFC starts at the same time as everyone who isn’t doing cfc leaves… which was everyone but about 14 people. This sucks cause now the people we have spent the last 2+months with everyday are going away and a lot of them we will never see again. Sadly being part of the cfc staff we were so busy that we never got to say goodbye to the bus with a lot of people in on cause we were moving chinese families in. but this is not a violins playing tissues out sad story. Its cfc!! We had a really good crew who stayed along with good people running the show for us so it was definitely something to look forward to!
CFC did get off to a terrible start though but it wasn’t due to anything anyone did. It was the weather. Rain rain and more of it destroyed any of the plans we had for the first few days. Working in it wasn’t fun either moving people in. and it was most likely due to all of this I started to feel like I was getting a cold. But thanks to a good supply of golf carts and plenty of staff everyone was moved in with minimal hassle. Night one for us is just intros so we go to where all the kids are with the junior leaders and introduce ourselves and then do the same with the adults. After that a few of us went to supervise a dodgeball game going on with the kids but once that was done our jobs are done and its easy as that day 1 is over.

The CFC world and camp world are very very different. All the staff live together, and we do not have to work anywhere near as hard cause we have a couple of hours work here then we have a few hours off and then on again… so when its broken up nicely like that its not as full on. Like I said earlier the weather was shocking early on so this forced a lot of changes.

Working on waterfront is always fun but when its raining as much as it was even that closes. So it was basketball and ping pong for much of the time cause they were indoors. Thankfully the rain didn’t last! Some might claim cause they did a sun dance… im still unsure about that… but regardless the rain did stop and normal activities go under way. Now when I say normal. I use that term very loosely… CFC is basically a week long Red and grey. But for them it was orange vs blue. I was cheering for orange cause I like that nothing rhymes with it. They did all sorts of stuff like an athletics day which had a great event known as dizzy dragons… just get a baseball bat point it at the ground, put your head on it and spin really fast then run.. funny funny funny. There was also a swim meet where a person was all by themselves in a race and they got disqualified for diving in and coming up in a different lane, family fun day which was just all kinds of unusual with balancing races, and all kinds of relays going on. My favorite was the tug of war. We had greylock vs cfc in tug of war.. little did they know we hooked a cable onto the end of the rope to quad bike… so yeah we won round 1 of that. Round 2 we said we would do it fair.. as it turns out they did not do it fair and as soon as it started had about 20 people to our 12… so we lost sadly… round 3 was fair – at least from our end I don’t know about them.. but we won that one so that was one for the good guys :D.

One thing I had been warned about but still couldn’t believe was how much they love boating and sailing!  It was non stop! And they all seem to think they are very good when some were.. well not so very good. James, who was head of sailing, had to go and save a few of them.. or a lot of them but who was counting.

But no matter what the weather was or what they were doing everyone there was loving it the whole week long… or at least from what I could see. And that’s pretty impressive given how much things were changed the rain keeping people inside for a few of the days.

It all ends with the talent show that we went to, but thankfully don’t participate in, where there is a tshirt exchange so we get CFC shirts and they get greylock ones. By the end of the week though the starting to feel sick had caught up and I was sick. I was going to new york and I had a cold that I was very unhappy with! My week in new york has mostly been filled with me relaxing trying to get better. And so far its working! I still have an annoying cough and a little bit of a nose issue going on but its well on its way out and I can function like a normal human being again without feeling like ill die. Although the idea of a hurricane expected to be here in the early hours of tomorrow has certainly halted my celebration for my new found health. Especially when the idea of it threatening my flight to England comes into play. At the moment it is suppose to be well gone by Sunday night… that would be very good cause I fly out Monday night so hopefully by then they will have sorted everything out! After the adventure that was getting here with flights getting delayed and missed and running around everywhere, for those who have forgotten or at new to the program go back to my first post of this trip and it will fill you in, I really don’t want any issues with this next lot!! 

i dont know yet if ill write anything about england.. probably not.. but for now thats all from me. take care

No comments:

Post a Comment